Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Someone Please Kill The Killers

The Killers are my new favorite band to hate. Not that it's too difficult. They make it so easy. From their boring, over-hyped albums full of mediocre synth-ridden pop-punk, to their pathetic faux-Gothic teenie-bopper rebellious image, to their idiotic frontman, Brandon Flowers, who says he thinks his band's new album is as good as Achtung Baby or OK Computer, they've really got it all, as far as the lameness factor goes.

And yet somehow, perhaps simply to infuriate people like me, they are popular. They can sell out Madison Square Garden. How can a band whose every song, down to each individual guitar riff and vocal melody, sounds so utterly derivative, possibly attain such a high level of success? Is this how it felt to be a black rhythm and blues musician in the 50's and 60's hearing countless bands and players ripping off your very soul?

Call me old-fashioned, but I liked these songs better when The Cure wrote and sang them twenty years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I just knew I wasn't alone. O, I hate Razorlight too. With the heat of a thousands suns.