Sunday, February 05, 2012

Mac Mini: The Haunting

Last August, I made up a little short story on Twitter that I thought was mildly hilarious. Nobody saw it because I have about 12 followers. So I'm reposting it here even though it's going to seem odd to read a whole bunch of tweets as one long thing. You kind of have to imagine you're getting these one at a time. It also helps a whole lot if you have heard Ween's album The Pod. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thing even 10% as much as I do:


Just put Ween's "Pod" album in my iTunes and the dock icon started jumping up and down like it was in pain.

Playing Ween's "The Pod" album. That's weird - usually iTunes doesn't stop after every song and ask if I'm sure I want to continue.

Playing Ween's "The Pod" album. The screen keeps getting darker and I have to keep turning up the brightness. Must be a new OSX bug.

The song "Pollo Asado" just ended. A dialog box came up in iTunes that just asked, "Why?" Had to click the "I'm sorry" button.

Listening to The Pod. All good. I guess iTunes got over itself. Although my Mac does seem strangely warm to the touch.

Went upstairs to get some lunch, left music playing. When I came back, my Mac was leaking. Some Macs have liquid coolant. Mine doesn't.

Just made it through "Molly." My Mac mini is now cold as ice to the touch.

These new Macs are so advanced! After playing Ween's "The Pod" album for 45 minutes, it's in a corner of the room making a cocoon.

Mac mini emerged from cocoon. Scurried under my bed - didn't get a good look. Ween album still blaring somehow. On phone now with Apple. 

Had no idea the Genius Bar did house calls, but I guess they're coming over. Also, is there a computer term that sounds like "exorcism"?

For those of you who missed my live tweets earlier today, I put on Ween's album "The Pod" and my Mac mini wept & became a giant insect.

Later on, some Genius Bar peeps came by. There was a lot of chanting and consulting of scrolls. I guess it was pretty serious.

It was touch and go for a while; a few of the geniuses were partially devoured. The blood… well, let's just say the carpet will never quite be the same.

But in the end, they managed to banish the demon possessing my computer back to the parallel dimension from which it came. And recover my data!

So I guess the lesson I've learned is: always go for the extended warranty. You just never know.

No comments: